- "IT WAS FOR YOU......"
- But it was Him that hung His sacred head,
- And bore it all for you,
- And Him that prayed, "Forgive them, for
- They know not what they do."
- But, it was Him that uttered not a word,
- As He bore the shame of it all.
- And Him that felt the bleeding side,
- And drank of the bitter gall.
- But it was Him that hung in the blistering sun,
- Amid the jeers of an angry crowd.
- And Him that lay in the tomb that day,
- Wrapped in a borrowed shroud.
- But, a merciful God looked down on you,
- And loved you so much that He,
- Gave His precious Son, His only one,
- To die and set you free.
Written at Gay, West Virginia, in the summer of 1949 and unedited since.